Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Subject: Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar@footils.org)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 19:52:05 EET

Hi,
Dave Phillips wrote:
> Robert Jonsson wrote:
>
> > I've never really looked at PD for instance, though I've heard it can
> > do wonders. I just looked at it recently again, it strikes me how butt
> > ugly it is. I can't help but think it would be more appealing if it was
> > gorgeous.

First I want to say: Pd has an interface, that is *not* intended to model
hardware, and I muchmuch prefer this over eye candy like the tassmann
synth. In fact, I hate interfaces like the tassman synth. I think, they
impose a usage model that is not apt for computers. And as I never used "the
real thing" in the form of hardware synths, I don't care much for knobs and
such. I really admire the interface Ableton's Live has: Clean, bright
colors, absolutely *no* shadows. This is the kind of interface, computer
monitors were made for, not for brushed metal GUIs.

So I would say: Yes, we do indeed need Graphics Designers, but we don't
need photographers. They learn more than that at art school.

> Pd can be configured for better appearance with shaded objects, colored
> wiring, and so forth.
>
> Perhaps a Pd guru can indicate the proper external(s) for this kind of
> GUI enhancement ?

I'll step into the role of a Pd guru for the moment:) The GUI-shadows
aren't included in the official Pd on Miller S. Puckette's site, but you
can checkout the devel_0_36 branch of Pd in our "Pure Data Externals
Repository" at Sourceforge. Homepage: pure-data.sf.net, browse CVS at
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pure-data/. They are not
available (or possible) as externals, you need a patched Pd.

It gives you colored patch cords, shadows behind objects (which I have
turned off, as you might have guessed by now), and also Jack-support and
some other niceties.

As Pd is multiplatform, there are more things to consider when making it
prettier than graphics alone. For example handling fonts is very different
on Mac, W32 and Linux. The "butt-ugly" (but ultracooli IMO) Courier font
used in Pd currently is the common denominator between systems. Everyone
has it, and it is easy to read. In the end Pd probably will look more like
it's Max/MSP counterpart, but there are more important things to do in PD
than appearance. As of now, I have yet to find a more capable and
extendable software synth on Linux than Pd. There's simply nothing that
comes close, if you don't count programming languages like Csound.

Someone once said, and it holds true: "Pd is MAX's uglier, but smarter
little sister."

ciao

--
Frank Barknecht