RE: [linux-audio-user] Is there interrest in a (near) perfect piano for tiMIDIty for composing music ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Is there interrest in a (near) perfect piano for tiMIDIty for composing music ?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht@controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 20:32:45 EET

Roel,
   A very standard way that a lot of these piano libraries get compared is
using the MIDI file available at the Digital Piano Shootout. Without
question I'd be willing to use, and even purchase, a library that beats the
best of what is offered there. Check out:

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

   They provide a MIDI file for you to use, and then you provide the mp3.
I'll let you make the mp3 at the highest quality you want to stream. Make
it, we listen and compare, and then tell you what we think.

   There are a lot of issues with piano libraries that seem to show up
following this process. This is just a start. There are other MIDI files a
bunch of us send around for standard comparisons at times, depending on how
well we know each other. I'm sure you have your.

   In general, the soundfont based libraries have not traditionally done as
well as the GSt libraries, but maybe yours well. I look forward to seeing
how yours does.

   I have concerns about any library being at 48K instead of 44.1K, and
question whether 16-bit is wise in an increasingly 24-bit world. However,
the proof is in the pudding. If you can cook a good one, we'll all come to
dinner! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark