RE: [linux-audio-user] Is there interrest in a (near) perfect piano for tiMIDIty for composing music ?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Is there interrest in a (near) perfect piano for tiMIDIty for composing music ?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht@controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 23:00:41 EET

Actually, let's be complete about this! ;-)

My current favorite GSt piano (Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer Imperial Grand)
uses:

4 samples at different velocities, sustain pedal down, for each key
4 samples at different velocities, sustain pedal up, for each key
1 release sample for each key

This piano has an extra 8-10 keys on the bottom end, so I think the key
space is about 96 keys instead of 88.

The samples are unlooped and some go as many as 40 seconds, I believe.

This library is pretty large, approaching 2GB, but it sure does sound good.
Not perfect, but very, very good.

Bardstown has also delivered native 24-bit for Halion and EXS.

Some library guys are now doing 8 and 16 velocity layers. I've tried one,
but I didn't like it as much as the Bardstown. Cost - $199 U.S.