Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Subject: Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 14:20:24 EET

 --- Dave Griffiths <dave@pawfal.org> wrote:
> > I talked to Robert Henke of Ableton about the philosophy behind their
> > innovative interface, and one of the most interesting concepts was, that
> > everything *must* fit into one window. Overlapping or popup-windows are
> > strictly forbidden in Live, because in a live situation you cannot be
> > bothered with organising windows on the screen.
>
> I *wish* I could figure out a way to do this with ssm. The best way I can
> think of is to use window placement code from a window manager to more
> intelligently place the module windows, as AudioMulch does. I guess its not
> really a solvable problem for a modular, as you can always instance more
> stuff.

Module wiring: The biggest improvement is to implement sub-patches [yes, I know
there are plans for this in SSM :] - that way you can hide a lot of detail in a
single module.

For example, a four oscillator synth with a filter, lfo and a couple of EGs
makes for a lot of modules, especially if you include math modules to scale
stuff. All of these could be wrapped up in a single patch with half a dozen
open inputs/outputs.

At the GUI end of things - most modular synths seem to assume one-gui-per
module, which again makes up for a lot of screen space used. In the four-osc
synth example above, there'd be a lot of redundant knobs/sliders for ports that
are actually driven by connections.

From the screenshots, that Tassman3 app that Steve found appears to alleviate
this somewhat by merging related modules into a single horizontal unit. I
suppose the ideal solution would be some sort of simple GUI builder so you can
create a set of controls for connection to a module, sub-patch, or whatever.
This could to some degree be automated (hide/show controls as connections are
created/removed).

I think ArtsBuilder had this last time I used it - GUI elements were treated
just like modules. Positioning them was a pain though, but it's been about a
year since I looked at it - things may have improved.

> I would really have liked to put the module controls inside the widgets in
> the
> patch builder, and thus only have one window to worry about - but some of the
> module windows are just too big, it makes building patches much more
> difficult.
>
> Any suggestions greatfully recieved :)

I quite like the separation of the wiring (which really only for initial
setting up) and the control (which is used when performing). I don't like, for
example, the way the Nord Modular does things, by having wires/connections at
the front: What if you slip and pull out a wire instead of turning a knob
during a performance? Same result as tripping over a cable on stage: Oops!

Mike