Re: [linux-audio-user] preferred motherboards ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] preferred motherboards ?
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor@speakeasy.net)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 02:25:23 EET

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 15:27, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > Avoid VIA KT333 based boards if you want to be able to rip cds with
> > cdparanoia, I had to add another IDE card to my machine. Other than that
> > its a good chipset though.

Peronally, I've had nothing but good luck with both of mine...

It looks like most of the software out here is Intel oriented...
Demudi's low latency kernel comes in intel and... intel, and I've had
really good luck with linux on half a dozen or so intel machines...
I've only been running this athlon for a month or so now. Debian,
Progeny Debian, Redhat 8 and Mandrake 8.2 had no problems with this
machine. Mandrake 9 had some problems with the fact that the hard drives
are {were} on ide2 {out of 4... I think the raid was confusing it.}
Corel linux and the newest HURD distribution have major problems with
this machine... Corel runs like {frozen} molasses and HURD just gives me
a Matrix-like screen. {I'm not sure if that's my fault or not though. {I
need to set it up again and take my time with it.}

 If you want a nice solid setup I'd suggest going with a p3 on a
no-nonsense board {there are several hardware compatibility lists out
here... check at google. {I have an older Gigbyte that's been the best
board I've ever owned... never given me a problem or balked at anything
I've tortured it with. They're cheap...}}

Soundcards...
http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/

 Download the base Debian distribution from www.debian.org {or do the
jigdoo thing, whatever}... at the end of the install you'll be asked if
you want to run dselect {provided you have a network card} you can
define a few local download spots, select a desktop and a windowmanager,
pick out a couple of audio editors and after a short download and
answering a few questions you'll have everything set up and ready.

 On the other hand... Redhat 8 rocks, takes 15 minutes to set up the
base package and is as stable as it gets. {I don't like dealing with the
rpms though... dselect's just so much easier.}

> If you're going IDE, avoid Maxtor like the devil. I run a lab and their
> harddrives DIE. They start beeping(!!!) during startup and won't mount.
> Maxtor is cheap, but sucky.

 Maxtor's not particularly bad... If you take a look at their page...
they've got several very nifty mirrored drive setups that are very nice.
I prefer Western Digital to anything though. I've just had better luck
with them.