Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Subject: Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 14:03:47 EET

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:07:50 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:

> > > I'm still not entirely convinced, but like I said - it's worth trying it out,
> > > and I think it's the best way to incorporate polyphony (duplicating subpatches
> > > instead of the whole thing)
> >
> > How shall that be modeled ?
> > some instantiator component containing a subpatch ?
> > I am puzzled how to present that to the user...
> > it is a very nice feature and having implemented the subpatches it would
> > be quite easy to implement... but how does it look on the screen ?
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of a plugin that spawns another ssm window with
> in and out modules (which map to the ins and outs on the subpatch module in
> the parent patch), but I'm not sure yet. It could be as simple as a ssm plugin.

IIRC The way it works in the nord modular is that there are two seperate
windows, the top one is polyphonic (ie. instnace for every note) and the
bottom one is monoponic (ie. only one instance ever), there is a magic
module in the lower window that communicates with the stuff in the top
window.

I dont think I've ever used it in anger so I cant really comment on how
appropriate it is.

- Steve