Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK audio distro survey
From: Guy Daniel CLOTILDE (guy.clotilde@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 12:59:57 EET

On 28 Jan 2003 23:19:40 -0500
Austin Acton <aacton@YorkU.CA> wrote / a écrit:

> Hello all,
> I'm a major contributor and volunteer at Mandrake, and I've been working
> to get Mandrake up-to-date and more complete with regard to audio
> applications, so I thought this would be a good place to come for
> advice. If you have a few minutes, please answer any of the following
> questions you can. Doing so will help make Mandrake 9.1 the best audio
> distribution on the planet...
>
> 1. If Mandrake 9.0 is your primary distribution for audio, what is your
> #1 complaint?

yes. with 8.2 on a second machine.
Low-latency patch is not present.

> 2. If Mandrake 9.0 is not your primary distribution for audio, why not?
> What is missing or what has turned you away?

on the second machine: I have downloaded kernel 2.4.16 and applied the low-latency patch.

> 3. What audio applications are we missing (please check current list
> provided below, as many new apps have been added since 9.0)?

OMG. mplayer is missing! realplay maybe is unauthorized elsewher from real.com. If not, why not?
lame for mp3 encoding?
> 4. What thee audio applications do you consider the most
> valuable/important? (do not include alsa, jack, mixers, or ogg/mp3
> players/encoders)

rosegarden
xmms
something to do multitrack recording

> Thanks very much. I appreciate your time, and please let me know
> personally if there is anything else I can do to make Mandrake more
> audio-friendly.
>
> Austin
> --
> Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
> Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant
> Department of Chemistry, York University, Toronto
> MandrakeClub Volunteer (www.mandrakeclub.com)
> homepage: www.groundstate.ca

Thanks for your work.
Guy CLO~