Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK Survey Results

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK Survey Results
From: iriXx (m@irixx.org)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 19:05:30 EET

hi,

Austin Acton wrote:

> 3. Problems with alsa sound quality on certain devices
> If these are alsa-specific problems (occur on other distros), please
> report them to alsa-project.org. If they are Mandrake specific, it
> would be nice if you could test the 9.1beta2 release to see if we have
> fixed it yet. If not, please report to http://qa.mandrakesoft.com.

i'd love to try 9.1beta2 but unfortunately i dont have DSL... so it
would take me years to download...

i did upgrade to Cooker alsa rpms though but had the same problem... :(
it was only solved by removing the modules supplied by mandrake and
upgrading to ALSA cvs....

> 4. Drakx (our installer) too simplistic
> With most new distros tending toward MORE simplistic installers, I have
> a hard time understanding this. Try expert mode first. If that's still
> too simple for you, you're welcome to make suggestions at
> mailto:cooker@mandrakesoft.com our developers' mailing list. We have
> added a rudimentary sound card and sound system (alsa/oss) configurator
> in the Mandrake Control Panel, so you can change sound system and card
> quite easily at any time.

it would be good if drakx had config options for sound... this is what i
meant by too simplistic... all it does is make a stab at guessing the
soundcard (which in the case of my thinkpad 600e turned out to be wrong
- it guessed cs46xx when the tp600e has a cs4239 which runs under
cs4236!)... it would be good to be able to run sndconfig at the time of
install... just as you do very well with the printer and LAN config...

> 5a. Drakx doesn't detect/configure USB audio
> Pixel, the mastermind behind our installer was very surprised by this.
> He says if you send him your /proc/bus/usb/devices list, he will fix the
> problem. The exception is the Extigy. Currently it's not detected, and
> they're not sure if we can include the drivers for it.

i'll do so.... my soundcard is the m-audio usb quattro...

> Now for requested applications. To my surprise, most of these we do not
> include. I will do my best to get most of them included in 9.1. Some
> others we already include, or can't include. I'll comment below.

looks good... i'm looking forward to getting 9.1...
thanx for contacting us... as a mandrake user, i really appreciate your
taking an interest in our feedback :)

bw
m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom? info@copyleftmedia.org.uk www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

_ ( ) ascii ribbon against html email X / \ cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

*** stopping make sense ***