Re: [linux-audio-user] Just how bad is USB audio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Just how bad is USB audio?
From: Clemens Ladisch (clemens@ladisch.de)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 10:48:00 EET

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> So I think I'll need a USB soundcard or maybe PCMCIA? But I don't want
> to spend too much (i.e. no RME)
>
> So what could you recommend in the range 100-200 EUR? I would prefer
> something with Midi, but I could go without. I need stereo in and out,
> though.

Have a look at the UA-1A or UA-3D from Edirol
<http://www.edirol.com/products/audio.html>. However, the cheapest device
with MIDI would be the UA-20.

The M-Audio Quattro has MIDI, but is too pricey for you.

> Any ideas? Do the Audiotrak MAYA USB boxes work (well) with Linux?

Linux should work with all audio devices complying to the USB Audio
Specification. A good indication for this is if the device works with
Microsoft's USB audio driver and doesn't need its own driver. This seems
to be the case for the Maya.

HTH
Clemens