Re: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording
From: linuxmedia4@netscape.net
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 22:47:27 EET

Ismael Valladolid Torres <ismaeval@terra.es> wrote:

>I bet what you are suffering is the common audio dropouts in common
>chipsets for AMD processors caused by their poor PCI implementation.
>
>Is your chipset a VIA or a SiS one?

The Mother Board Manual states:

"The K7SEM is installed with the economical high-performance SiS730S chipset..."

Of course, it goes on with other specs, but I thought this would
answer the question about if it was SiS.

Just as a double-check (because the salesman told me that the manual
refers to several different mother boards) I looked (in KDE) under "Information" ---> "PCI" and it says:

"00.00.1 IDE Interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 IDE..."

I appoligize for my lack of savy. Does this answer the VIA/SiS
question? If so, do you have any other ideas of where I may need
to investigate next?

According to the article, I have the _exact_ Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card _and_ Hard Drive to acheive the highest speeds. The _Hard Drive's_ specs say:

Buffer size:
8 MB
Average seek time
9.1 MS
DATA Transfer rate:
133 MBytes / sec
(Ultra ATA/133)
Rotational Speed:
7200 RPM

So with the ATA/133 Card, the Hard Drive and (following)
Hardware/Software specs, shouldn't this be enough to allow flawless multitrack recording:

My Software/Hardware:

SuSE 8.1
k7SEM Mother Board
AMD Duron 1Ghz Processor
256 Megs Ram
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
alsa Version 0.9.0.cvs20020903-13
(That's the Alsa that installed with SuSE 8.1 - It
hasn't been altered in any way)

 If you remember, when I installed the card and then did:
"hdparm -Tt /dev/dsp"
the Timing buffered disk reads MB/sec were lower than before I installed it. So, if you think the card is a worth fooling with, do you have any idea why the Timing buffered disk reads were lower (and how to bring them up)?

Thanks,
Rocco