Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux multimedia distributions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux multimedia distributions
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2003 - 21:51:02 EET

> > Another:
> > Turn-key Linux Audio at:
> > http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/home.html
>
> And I recently found, but never tried, this: http://www.dynebolic.org/
> selfbooting live-cd with included audio streamer, Pd, ...
>
> > I don't know if Demudi has install cdroms,
> >
> > I would also like to point out that Planet CCRMA is not strictly audio
> > oriented, it also has packages for doing video work (from the libraries
> > and packages needed to do i/o to/from ieee1394 camcorders to writing an
> > svcd of the end result :-) Of course at this point it is audio heavy and
> > video light...
>
> But there already is Pd-GEM included ;)
>
> Speaking of Pd, I see on
> http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/soundapps.html that
> this is slightly out of date (it's 0.35, 0.36 now has Undo!) but
> that's not my point.

Yes, I'm aware that it is out of date. I'm working on a 0.36 version. As
I need jack support I'm using pd cvs... Too many packages, too little
time :-)

> I don't know, if you know our Pd External Repository on SouceForge
> (pure-data.sf.net).

Yes, I'm aware of it... nice resource.

> It includes a whole bunch of externals and also
> some important libraries like zexy and ggee. The end goal is, to have
> installable packages ready sometime. 'Project leader' is Guenther
> Geiger, and he - as a kind of Debian guy - already made some scripts
> to build Debs from the externals.
>
> I could figure, that rpm's would be a cool thing to add and personally
> I would find it wonderful to have rpm-scripts (specs? or what's it
> called) inside the repository as well (Guenther, you're listening? What
> do you think?)
>
> Anyway, you are of course encouraged to use the repository as a source
> for Planet's Pd-externals. (But beware, that the developers' branch of
> Pd itself can be quite unstable)

I currently have at Planet CCRMA some of the external libraries as "easy
to install packages": currently gem, ggee, iemlib and zexy. I would like
to add more, of course......

-- Fernando