RE: [linux-audio-user] Sound on Sound, and Home Recording Magazine

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Sound on Sound, and Home Recording Magazine
From: R Parker (rtp405@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 07:18:31 EET

--- pawL <pawl@attbi.com> wrote:
> >And if my Aunt had balls, she'd be my Uncle.
> >
> >ron
>
> Sex changes about aunts and uncles aside...
>
> Have any ideas about what's better or as good as
> Cubase on Linux?

Have you looked at Ardour?

It's moving out of alpha and into beta. About two
weeks ago the main developer, Paul Davis, announced on
a flier for the recent NAMM show that a stable release
would be available within a couple months.

I believe that Ardour, for people like us--advocates
of open source and freedom, will be superior to the
other products like Cubase.

Several months ago, I did produce a commercial 18 song
job using Ardour. It was very difficult because of the
stage of development but I did it to prove to myself
and hopefully others that Ardour is the real thing.
BTW, I selected the job carefully and basically knew
what I'd be up against. I wouldn't recommend anyone
use Ardour for commercial work until they know what
they're getting into.

Ardour development is very rapid. I'd estimate that
there are around five significant CVS updates each
week. A couple hours ago Paul D. announced his
"unoffical" intention to wipe out all bugs on the TODO
list by the end of the weekend. I've got 'ssh -X
root@daddy && ardour' from the studio to my room via
100mb LAN and running inside GDB now and am hoping I
can test some updates. :)

I'm a big fan.

Have you not looked at Ardour?

If not, please do. I believe you'll be interested.
Also, there's ecasound which I haven't used but
strongly suspect is another interesting Linux DAW.

There are some folks doing interesting work with
Rosegarden -> jackd -> ardour. I'm not sure how well
it's working but I think they're seeing
alsa_pcm:rosegarden-out_N in the ardour routes. :)
That's interesting enough by itself for me to say,
Yes, I know of something that's as good or better than
Cubase.

pawL, in all fairness, my reaction to the interest in
a linux based Cubase is motivated by the fact that
there are some very interesting Linux based solutions.
I believe anything that's got the advertising
investment of a Cubase that entered the Linux realm
would only harm the efforts of linux audio developers
(LAD) because many users would divert their attention
via product reconiziability. In other words, I think
it would split the user community and probably the
developer community too. Although, it's probably to
late for them to do serious harm because we're very
close to having a stable Ardour which is GPL and if
Steinberg didn't release with GPL everyone would
eventually understand the consequences and would
migrate to the less familiar but superior linux based
product.

Anyway, if I cocked off with my earlier responses, I
am sorry. Thanks for asking a tough question.

wRONg Parker