RE: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording
From: linuxmedia4@netscape.net
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 10:21:40 EET

>> Mark Knecht <mknecht@controlnet.com> Wrote:
>> Rocco,
>> Hi. Why all the focus on the disk drive side only? There's
>> also a good chance that the sound card is not getting serviced
>> and this causes the interruption.
>>
>> Things to think about and look for:
>>
>> 1) Interrupts are not set up well

> Someone on this list mentioned an article that you wrote about
> IRQ priority ordering and Latency using lspci.
<CHOP>
> This time I used the correct keywords and it took me right
> to the HOWTO.
<CHOP>
> I will work with that and see if that has an effect on the situation.

I read the article, and did "cat /proc/interrupts" and got the
following:

           CPU0
  0: 30093 XT-PIC timer
  1: 356 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 21919 XT-PIC EMU10K1
 12: 73 XT-PIC usb-ohci, usb-ohci
 14: 12651 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 15 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 0
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

From what I read from the article, (and the little understanding I have
about this subject) nothing seemed unusual. With the exception of the
non-PCI slot IRQ's, the Sound Card appears to be before all others.

The article talks about some IRQ's being shared. Would that be
reflected in the output of "cat /proc/interrupts"?

Before I switched my Sound Card to another slot, I thought I would
disable USB in the BIOS since it's just being used for the mouse. I'm
now using a ps mouse.

after booting up and doing "cat /proc/interrupts" I got the following:

           CPU0
  0: 25160 XT-PIC timer
  1: 542 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
 11: 0 XT-PIC EMU10K1
 14: 7620 XT-PIC ide0
 15: 15 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 0
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

Even though there was no indication that the Interuptions (while
recording) would stop, I still tried recording. I got the usual
interruptions.

Then I switched the sound card to the other PCI slot. There's only 2
PCI slots because the Mother Board came with onboard this and onboard
that (all of which I don't use and have disabled in the BIOS).

The other thing is that there's _nothing_ in the other PCI slot. But I
put it in the other slot anyways. And as you can guess, I got the same
results from "cat /proc/interrupts".

All I can think of is that there may be a reason why my Mother Board
was inexpensive. Maybe it's time to buy a new Mother Board.

Can anyone think of any other solution?'

Thanks,
Rocco