RE: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Interuptions While Recording
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 15:19:15 EET

Hi Rocco

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 00:21, linuxmedia4@netscape.net wrote:
<SNIP>

> I read the article, and did "cat /proc/interrupts" and got the
> following:
>
> CPU0
> 0: 30093 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 356 XT-PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
> 11: 21919 XT-PIC EMU10K1
> 12: 73 XT-PIC usb-ohci, usb-ohci
> 14: 12651 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 15 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 0
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0

This looks fine. Your sound card is IRQ11. Nothing is on 9 or 10, so 1
is the highest priority interrupt.

> >From what I read from the article, (and the little understanding I have
> about this subject) nothing seemed unusual. With the exception of the
> non-PCI slot IRQ's, the Sound Card appears to be before all others.
>
> The article talks about some IRQ's being shared. Would that be
> reflected in the output of "cat /proc/interrupts"?

Yes. You appear to have two USB controllers in the machine. (Many do.)
They are shared on IRQ12.

> Before I switched my Sound Card to another slot, I thought I would
> disable USB in the BIOS since it's just being used for the mouse. I'm
> now using a ps mouse.

Correct. USB wouldn't work, so ps2 is the way to go, although it should
have an interrupt.

> after booting up and doing "cat /proc/interrupts" I got the following:
>
> CPU0
> 0: 25160 XT-PIC timer
> 1: 542 XT-PIC keyboard
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
> 11: 0 XT-PIC EMU10K1
> 14: 7620 XT-PIC ide0
> 15: 15 XT-PIC ide1
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 0
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0

Here's my setup:

[root@Godzilla root]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 73729 XT-PIC timer
  1: 1114 XT-PIC keyboard
  2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
  5: 1812 XT-PIC usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0
  8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
 10: 0 XT-PIC hdsp
 11: 5 XT-PIC ohci1394
 12: 24226 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
 14: 44337 XT-PIC ide2
 15: 9965 XT-PIC ide3
NMI: 0
ERR: 0
[root@Godzilla root]#

> Even though there was no indication that the Interuptions (while
> recording) would stop, I still tried recording. I got the usual
> interruptions.
>
> Then I switched the sound card to the other PCI slot. There's only 2
> PCI slots because the Mother Board came with onboard this and onboard
> that (all of which I don't use and have disabled in the BIOS).
>
> The other thing is that there's _nothing_ in the other PCI slot. But I
> put it in the other slot anyways. And as you can guess, I got the same
> results from "cat /proc/interrupts".

So this would suggest that the interrupt lines for the two PCI slots are
tied together on the motherboard and both slots always share.

> All I can think of is that there may be a reason why my Mother Board
> was inexpensive. Maybe it's time to buy a new Mother Board.

Possibly. What MB/processor/memory is in this machine?

> Can anyone think of any other solution?'

Well, don't buy a new MB because if the problem is the disks then your
just spending money.

Can you review:

1) The machine configuration - hardware and distribution

2) What software you're using to record. (Is it using Jack?)

3) Results from Benno's latency test software, if you've done it.

4) Any problems with pure playback of raw wave files?

5) Any problems moving real-time audio through the machine without
recording it? Any clicks or pops?

Mark