Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 19:19:32 EET

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 19:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 16:46, Jan "Evil Twin" Depner wrote:
> > I actually think XFS would be a good solution, however, as Mark Knecht
> > said, it doesn't come with kernel I'm using. It may also not be as
> > stable as reiserfs, I just don't know. Reiserfs works well for me so
> > I'll wait until XFS has been beaten on for a while.
>
> I was told by the XFS design team that to use it on 2.4.X you have to
> patch. I subscribed to the XFS reflector for a while and found that the
> number and type of problems I was hearing about were too scary for me,
> so I passed for now.
>
> They tell me that it will be a file system option in 2.5.X, and indeed
> it's there in the make sconfig build script, but I have not tried it. No
> time.
>
> XFS is supposed to be very good for large files, while reiser is best
> for small files. Hence, we could hope that XFS eventually becomes a good
> option. Look for 2.7.X or 2.9.X.....

 I set it up with Red Hat 8 or Mandrake or something... {I set up a lot
of stuff last month. It's been a while since I've really used linux...
I wanted to experiment.}

 :} I did a backup on that drive not realizing that I'd never see it
again. {I just have to move everything off of the cds again... still,
it's a pain.}

I finally managed to download Demudi though... I may try it again...

--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed