Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 03:07:21 EET

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 16:46, Jan "Evil Twin" Depner wrote:
> I actually think XFS would be a good solution, however, as Mark Knecht
> said, it doesn't come with kernel I'm using. It may also not be as
> stable as reiserfs, I just don't know. Reiserfs works well for me so
> I'll wait until XFS has been beaten on for a while.
>
> Jan

I was told by the XFS design team that to use it on 2.4.X you have to
patch. I subscribed to the XFS reflector for a while and found that the
number and type of problems I was hearing about were too scary for me,
so I passed for now.

They tell me that it will be a file system option in 2.5.X, and indeed
it's there in the make sconfig build script, but I have not tried it. No
time.

XFS is supposed to be very good for large files, while reiser is best
for small files. Hence, we could hope that XFS eventually becomes a good
option. Look for 2.7.X or 2.9.X.....

Mark