Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] is ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?
From: Rick Taylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 22:33:40 EET

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 11:45, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Rick,

> Are/were you using XFS for your system drive, your audio drive, or
> for some other storage purpose?

 Video. Cinelerra {linux in general} looks as though it has a much more
appropriate {to what I want} future than anything else in this regard.
{That being both 2 and 3d animation, as well as the soundtrack stuff to
go with it.}

 I read up on XFS last night... It looks ideal... it's a film industry
file system. My video files run a bit less than 2 gigs on the average
{somewhere near 8 minutes, widescreen} ... my audio files run 3-4oo megs
each {What that will look like after conversion remains to be seen. I
have a feeling it will be similar...}. That's in addition to samples,
loops, bits and pieces, etc...

 The last {couple of months, actually} month's experiments weren't
aimless... What I have in mind would tax most any system. I'm being
fairly choosey... I don't want to be scraping bits of finished video off
of the walls of my hardrive. For the past few years... the only working
linux machine around here has been a fairly low end p233. I have a
little bit of catching up to do.

--
Rick Taylor <ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net>
The Dispossessed