Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts, iiwusynth and smurf

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts, iiwusynth and smurf
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 18:02:06 EET

Levi Burton wrote:

> I am currently using alsa 0.9rc7 with oss emulation, oss sequencer, virmidi
> and ens1371. I have a ens1371 soundcard. I would like to create my own
> soundfonts using smurf and play them with iiwusynth. Does anyone have some
> insight into the best way to proceed with this process (workflow, devices etc
> etc). I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of options there are for doing this.

Using Swami (nee Smurf) is quite intuitive, so I'd say one good way to
begin is by loading a favorite font into Swami and investigating how it
(the font) gets to sound like it does. Check out its basic voice
parameters, then take a look at any keyboard mapping that may be used.
Try turning things on & off to discover what the various functions
actually do. Revise a favorite font, then save it and try loading it
into FluidSynth (nee iiwusynth). Take notes of your progress: editing
and creating your own sounds is a learning process, so you'll want to
start noting where changes in a font yield dramatic effect or where
nothing at all seems to happen (though that "nothing" may come into play
during performance, i.e., a parameter might only be effective after a
certain velocity or key range).

Another thing to do is read up on SoundFonts. I believe Josh Green has
provided plenty of that sort of info on the Swami site:

        http://swami.sourceforge.net/

Above all, have fun, and when you make something nice let us know. ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org