Re: [linux-audio-user] Mailing list for general music making

From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 12:14:15 EET

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 08:44:25 +0700, Darren Landrum wrote:
> Rick Taylor writes:
>

> > I could certainly use it...I had the impression that was what this list
> > is for though.
>

> That's one of the reasons I wanted to solicit opinions on the idea.
> However, it always seemed to me that this list is about audio only as it
> pertains to Linux. Would a question about how good a couple of different
> drum sets sound when recorded be appropriate here? That's the kind of
> stuff I was asking about. (That's a real world example. I went looking to
> buy a drum set today, and ran into problems getting a few questions
> answered.)
> Also, things like microphone technique, EQ and mixing technique, and tips
> for soundproofing a room I think would be beyond the scope of the Linux
> Audio lists, but not for the one I propose.

There are hundreds of such lists (eg.
very crowded or targetted at a particular set of users, eg. linux users ;)

From the l-a-u webpage:

Topics / Target groups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The LAU list is intended for people focusing on using rather than hacking
audio and MIDI applications. It's a place for all things audio, but they
should be viewed from a user's perspective.
If it's getting overly technical, take it as a sign to move it over to the
LAD list.

You can post to LAU to

    * share your experience with audio applications,
    * describe how you accomplished a specific task,
    * ask which tool is best suited for the job you need done,
    * find out how to get the best possible audio quality out of your
      system or
    * tune your box for low latency,
    * make different applications work together,
    * tell us how you use your linux box as a guitar FX rack or P.A.
      equalizer or line delay or keyboard expander or whatever.

It is customary for developers to cc: their release announcements here,
and for artists to announce music "Made with Linux".

Discussions range from basic installation questions to very advanced
tasks. Please refer to the archive before posting. Many inquiries are
frequently discussed and you may find yours already answered - or better
yet, stumble across a HOWTO someone has written and announced on the list.
Even if not, the archive might help you to specify your question.

Questions on how to set up your system are clearly on-topic on LAU, but
for audio driver and hardware installation issues, you should consider
going to the ALSA mailing lists instead.
If you're using OSS, you should consider switching to ALSA (here's why),
so the same rule applies :)

LAU should provide a forum for broad discussion of the use of Linux
audio/MIDI software, encouraging Q&A between users and developers.
Very specific questions may be routed to their more specific lists (ALSA,
SoundTracker, Csound, etc.) but LAU may be considered as a wide zone for
user I/O.

- Steve