Re: [linux-audio-user] Pop filter?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pop filter?
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 12:59:06 EET

> South Korea had the same situation into
> the 70s and 80s. How do you suppose those countries got where they are
> now?

That assumes 'where those countries are now' is somewhere where we'd want to
be. Taiwan may be rich but that doesn't mean you'd neccessarily want a
Taiwanese factory workers lifestyle. Or a Detroit one in the 1930's.

> And remember $1US a day goes a hell of a lot farther in China than
> it does in the UK or US.

I'm sure that makes them feel a lot better.

> Some people get exploited, some get rich.
> This is the real world.

This is the Fordist world. There are others, fortunately for me. I personally
do get days off. I have a reasonable amount of control over my own life and
work.

> Remember though, the more money we pump into
> China the better off those people will be in the long run.

From my visits there I'd say trickle-down doesn't seem to have worked in the
USA, so I don't see why it should in China either. I'm not saying don't buy
stuff from there - it's hard to avoid - but just be aware of the economics
that make cheap computer/home recording equipment possible.

Cheers

Daniel