Re: [OT] Re: [linux-audio-user] Pop filter?

Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [linux-audio-user] Pop filter?
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 00:36:04 EET

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 22:08, iriXx wrote:
> i would also reccomend "No Logo" by Naomi Klein...

Hey, didn't I do that already? Maybe I didn't.

Another interesting related populist-economics book is "The Mystery of
Capital" by Hernando de Soto (a Peruvian reformist economist). It's
about why successful capitalism seems so hard to transfer to
developing countries. Fascinating theory, lots of interesting facts
and plenty of the "duh!"-factor that all good economics should have.

"No Logo" is surprisingly good though -- very solidly researched and
really quite convincing, although I'm not sure about the chapters
hitching the book to a new global anti-globalisation movement (i.e.
I'm not sure there is such a strong and ongoing movement as she'd
like to hope).

I'm going to have to look out this book Dave recommends. Sounds
fascinating. At a former workplace I remember noticing a copy of
some book gathering dust which I think must have been a paperback
bestseller in the early 80s, about how Japan was sure to take over
the computing world during the 80s through their dominance of AI
techniques or something. It turned out to be quite wrong, anyway.
Anyone remember that? Or was it a whole genre in itself?

Chris