Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Need help - hardware recommendations
From: linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 23:56:31 EET

Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:34:57PM -0500, linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net wrote:

>> ...they taught us in the recording classes... it's important to put
>> the mics in a "cross pattern" (like an X).

>well, sometimes...

>> The heads of the mics need
>> to be 45 degrees apart from each other. If you don't then you can get
>> "phase cancellations".

>I never went to recording classes, but ...
>Phase cancellations have at least as much to do with mic position
>as with mic angle. angling the mics is not a magic solution.
>Most cardioid mics have plenty of pickup at 90 degrees.
>It sounds like what you're describing is the classic "X/Y" stereo
>mic technique, with a pair of cardioids placed so that
>* The mics are angled 90 degrees relative to each other, and
> 45 degrees relative to "center"
>* The mic heads are placed as close together as possible.

After reading several of the responces to my original email, I'm realizing that I may be confusing mic angling with preventing phase cancalations when the (mic angling) part of the class may have just been about micing techniques. And you make a good point. Different mics have different pick-up patterns. So even (if) angling does (in some cases) prevent phase cancellations, it's not going to if the mic has a wide pick-up pattern. At this point, I don't even remember if angling has _anything_ to do with preventing phase cancellations.

>check the rec.audio.pro FAQ for more good info on stereo micing.

Since it's been 15 years since I took the recording class, It may be time to brush up on recording tecniques again.

>> ...If you don't do the cross pattern you (could) hear unwanted sounds
>> (and/or dropouts).

>dropouts?? what on earth does mic technique have to do with dropouts?

I (thought) the teacher was saying that phase cancellations can also cause dropouts. But hey, 15-year-old information can get blurred with other info in the mind. I've been busy for the last 10 years Busking on the streets of the various Cities that I've traveled to. I haven't used any of the tecniques that I learned. So I'm sure I've either forgot certain details, or have blurred different discussions in my mind.

Rocco