[linux-audio-user] Alsa troubles? Why O why??

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Alsa troubles? Why O why??
From: moeflon (moeflon_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 19:44:04 EET

Hi everybody,

Been on linux for about 1 year now. Realy super experience after my
headache-period with M$.

But I ran into troubles now... Reïnstalled my MDK 9.0 (different
partition usage). At initial startup (before installing extra software)
ALSA works fine, no troubles at all. After I installed the software,
after a needed reboot, if I want to open my "alsamixergui" I get an
error: no mixers found... No sound at all, even not running XMMS on
OSS-out...I installed (almost) everything sound-related from mirrors I
got from PLF.

Did check soundcard settings, seems some program changed the driver for
my SBlive to audigy.... (weird to me) Tried applying the old driver. It
worked for the OSS, not for alsa, nor for esound... (yes esound doesn't
allow any sound either) and yes, I suppose the mixers are not set to 0..
although I can't check that...

Why o why does this happen?? Already noticed that turning off my
Evolution-usb-keyboard during rebooting was needed, because of probs
with alsactl during boot...

Could anybody plz give me a clue howto solve this prob?

And in addition to this, does anybody feel like expaining to me why
(even on my previous setup) rosegarden doesn't produce any hearable
sound? (yes the vu-meters move when I play an added track, but no sound
is heard, and yes, jack is running (as root, right?)

THX

Karel alias 'Moeflon'