Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2
From: Austin Acton (aacton_AT_YorkU.CA)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 19:39:02 EET

On Fri, 2003-02-28 at 12:21, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Arts is your problem. Try killing artsd. You can set that up
> > permanently in KDE control centre somewhere.
>
> Sorry, no can do. I've found the artscontrol panel, I can suspend the
> daemon but not permanently, and trying to launch aumix fails either way.
> The CD player appears to work, but I get no sound, possibly because the
> channel's muted, but I can't unmute the channel because the mixer won't
> launch. Sucks.

I mean actually killing the daemon. Use kill or killall and see if that
temporarily solves the sound problems. Then at least you'll know arts
is the problem.

> > Yep. The connect tool in 8.2 was messed up. Is it such a big problem
> > that it lies to you? You can see the I/O meter is active which tells
> > you you are connected.
>
> Right-o, no problem for me, but I'm setting up these machines for other
> people who are not particularly Linux-savvy. When they see something
> like "Internet connection failed" they're very likely to think that's
> exactly what the message means.

Try using kppp instead of the mandrake util.

> [re: GCC 2.96 error]

Hmm. I dunno about that one. I've NEVER heard of such problems
before. I'm sure something is setup wrong. If you install the devel
suite from DrakX, gcc will definitely work. If not, something local is
messed up.

> > Why are you using 8.2? 9.0 is current, and 9.1 will be out in a month.
> > 9.0 stock has a few problems, so be sure to install the errata packages
> > as well from the Mandrake update website.
>
> Because that's what came with the machines. If Mandrake has some kind of
> on-line upgrade, please advise. I have the net connection (ADSL)
> working, so if it's easily done I'll upgrade over the wires.

Upgrading is possible using urpmi. You just setup your RPM source as
the 9.0 repository (there are many mirrors) and type
urpmi --update --auto-select
and it will update all the packages. This is highly advised against on
a new machine though.
Why don't you just download the ISO's for 9.0 and install them?

> Thanks for the assistance, guys. Sorry I'm so testy, this is just not a
> pleasant experience. The installation itself is indeed painless but the
> configuration is a nightmare.

I doubt you will have problems with 9.0.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant