Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 20:40:18 EET

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:17:49 +0000
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

> > > There was a suggestion on ardour-dev that a hint to say whether
> > > control outs were supposed to be informative or a source of
> > > control data might help, but I'm not sure about it.
> >
> > Not sure what 'informative' means here... what information do we get
> > if we ignore the control data on the output?
>
> For example the distinction between the control output of an envelope
> follower and the gain reduction output of a compressor, the follower
> is inteded to drive eg. a filters cutoff, wheres the gain reduction is
> just inteded to be viewed by the user as a clue as to what is going
> on.

Ah, I get it now. I'm not sure about it either - a user might want to
connect the gain reduction to another plugin's input for whatever
reason, or conversely, connect a 'data' port to a viewer - e.g. an audio
out to an FFT scope. If the hint doesn't prevent this, I have no
argument against having it.

> > /* Hint RANDOMISABLE indicates that it's meaningful to randomise the
> > port
> > if the user hits a button. This is useful for the steps of
> > control sequencers, reverbs, and just about anything that's
> > complex. A control with this hint should not result in anything
> > too suprising happening to the user (eg. sudden +100dB gain would
> > be unpleasant). */
> > #define LADSPA_HINT_RANDOMISABLE 0x80
>
> 'meaningful' is probably the wrong word, how about 'useful'?

Agreed.

> The last sentance doesn't make sense, it should start "Randomising a
> control"... I think.

Yeah. That's just my stream-of-consciousness rambling coming in :)

s/"A control with this hint"/"Randomising a control"/

> Also, UK v's US spelling, is there a convention in the rest of the .h
> file?

The word 'initialisation' appears in the comment at the top of the
current header, so UK I suppose...

-
Mike