Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: swh-plugins 0.3.7

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ANN: swh-plugins 0.3.7
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 13:44:40 EET

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 11:03:28 +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > If I set faders to zero I still get gain, which causes distortion on stuff
> > that's already at 0dB.
>
> Yes, there is an incorrect scaling factor. Should be an easy fix, but I
> haven't got round to it.

Fixed it current snapshot. It was easy.

> > I can't seem to get the compression on drums right using the SC compressors.
> > The quiet bits are reduced, just as the peaks are - maybe I just don't
> > understand the variables. Looks like you decided against calling them the
> > Steve's Compressor series, eh?
>
> I think there is a problem with the envelope tracker that makes it too
> sluggish for transients, also you probably want a peak folling compressor for
> this task, SC4 was meant to be switchable RMS/peak, but I forgot to add
> the code before releasing the first time.

I've made the follower have a variable response related to the attack
time, which I think give a more natural response and seems to work better
on drums. New code in snapshot:
http://plugin.org.uk/snapshots/swh-plugins-2003-03-08.tar.gz

However I dont trust my own ears on compressors, so if people could try
this new version (SC1 only) and report back wether its better for
percussion and still OK on non percussive material that would be great.

Its still not ideal for percussion (as its RMS), but it should be more
useful now.

- Steve