Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration
From: Alexandre Prokoudine (avp_AT_altlinux.ru)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 13:00:35 EET

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:23:04 -0600
Levi Burton <donburton_AT_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was just curious if anyone on the list has attempted to
> collaborate musicly? By "collaborate" I mean sharing of things
> such as "tracks" of audio (I would assume this is the prefered
> method, unless MIDI is utilized and everyone has the same hardware
> - doubtfull).

Another good idea. Some musicians I know well were recently talking
about playing together via Internet -- like you are e.g. in New York
and I'm e.g. in Pekin :-) It was all about using MIDI controllers

I've searched through the Web and found this:

http://www.sreal.com:8000/~div/midi-utilities-for-unix/

------

pipe2net

NetMIDI is a protocol I came up with which sends standard MIDI
messages over a TCP transport. It can be used to send MIDI messages
between different computers, even if they are running different
operating systems. Most of the other utilities here communicate over
FIFOs, but this utility can be used to bridge them to NetMIDI.
Actually, this utility will copy any data from a FIFO to a TCP
connection, so it is not MIDI specific; it is similar to netcat
(which I didn't know about at the time I wrote this).

net2pipe

This utility provides the other half of the connection.

------

Does anyone has experience of using it?

--
Alexandre Prokoudine