Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 07:44:59 EET

On/le Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:06:08 +0000
Daniel James <daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com> wrote / a écrit quelque chose
comme:

> It's not a stupid idea, but I don't know how you'd make a clear
> seperation between legitimate files that it's OK to redistribute,
> and unauthorised copyrighted music - excepting by linking the files
> to some kind of free music licence. Or a tag that says 'made with
> Linux(tm)'

I never try it, so maybe I'm totally wrong, but I've seen on web page links pointing like this (don't care about the syntax, it's from my memory):
url:gnutella:my_files.mp3
url:kazaa:my_second_files.mp3

I believe it works under windows, and clicking on the link launches kazaa, with the name of the file as argument.
It means that the web site juste show the urls, if someone wants to download the file, he just clicks.
For the unixers, another solution shouldn't be out of reach.

So the files are located on different machines. They have to be connected to the internet, but so what :)
One advantage is that most P2P let you choose the amount of upload bandwidth you want from your machine.
Another great advantage is that the more a file is loved, the more it is downloaded and the more easy to find it on the P2P network! Darwin at his best ;)

I hope I showed clearly my idea. Feel free to ask me to re-formulate if needed (I'm not a native english speaker).
If I find again the web pages with this sorts of links, I will post the url here.

> And I'm not sure how it would work to show off the Linux-made music
> - as I understand it, people who use P2P are searching for files by
> known artists.

We can use P2P progs for what they are: legitimate progs. This is just a new and legitimate way to use them. Slashdot (sorry for the ad) had some articles about this recently:

"P2P content delivery for Open-Source":
        http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/29/1823218&mode=thread&tid=95
And more "conceptual":
"Convergence of P2P and Grid Predicted":
        http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/04/237235&mode=thread&tid=95

Cheers
Guy CLO~
LiGnuxly.