Re: [linux-audio-user] Distro choice :)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Distro choice :)
From: Linus Ericsson (wenoc_AT_cyde.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 13:17:47 EET

ons 2003-03-19 klockan 11.23 skrev Vincent Touquet:
> Hi,

Hi there!

> I'm checking out my distro options for a Linux machine I will use to
> record music and do MIDI with.
>
> I'm mostly a Debian adept, so I was
> thinking of adding the demudi packages to my sources.list, but they
> seem a bit out of date (there is newer stuff in sid than in the demudi
> specific repositories ?).
>
> Planet CCRMA looks very promising, it even includes a low latency
> patched kernel :) (anyone having experience with this distro ?).

I did actually install Redhat 8.0 and then got the apt-get-RPMS from
CCRMA, and then took all the sound- and videoprograms from there, as the
instructions said. And it seems to work fairly well. The only thing is
that I fried my SBlive with a loos HD-power-cable, so I'm driving at
some CS42... stuff. Noisy and so on. But anyway, my conclusion is that
it works. And is simple to do. But if you already are a Debian-creature,
I think Debian is better than Redhat, both in stability and
"cleaness"...

> Gentoo seems nice too, albeit maybe a bit harder to install.
>
> The most important thing is probably the availability of
> music related programs (packages).

It seems to be okay at Planet CCRMA :)

> Aside from the distro question, which kernel do you prefer ?
> I know I need the low latency patches in here:
> http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/schedlat.html, but aside
> from these patches, what should I definitely include in the
> kernel ? I guess the pre-emptible kernel patch too (the planet
> CCRMA distro has it).

CCRMA has it, yes. And it works. But I don't think it's that much effort
to patch the kernel-source yourself, and compile your own kernel.

Best Regards, Linus Ericsson