Re: [linux-audio-user] Distro choice :)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Distro choice :)
From: luis jure (ljure_AT_multitel.com.uy)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 21:08:18 EET

el Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:21:10 +0000
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> escribió:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 08:41:43 -0300, luis jure wrote:
> > so, if you can suffer redhat, i would say planet ccrma is definitely
> > the way to go.
>
> Hmmm... I'm not so sure about "suffering" RedHat, my experince of RH8 is
> that it has been extremely clean, easy to use, stable and generally good
> all round*.

my apologies, i see clearly now that it was a rude way of expressing my
opinion.

anyway, i had made clear that my opinions shouldn't be taken seriously in
any case, since in fact i don't like any distribution.

i'm glad that you find redhat stable and clean, you can enjoy the excellent
planet ccrma packages.

i agree that redhat has an excellent installation program, and it's very
easy to install and also easy to use, but to be frank and no offense
intended, i found many times that the cost of being easy and
"user-friendly" is that it's not so robust and clean as it should be. i
installed redhat at the school where i work a couple of times (6.0, 7.3,
8.0) and always found a few things that were broken. in particular, i find
very difficult in redhat to build and install packages from source, other
that those distributed by redhat or specifically built for that
distribution. but that might be my lack of knowledge of redhat and of linux
in general.

best,

lj