Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone using multiface+cardbus?
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 17:45:52 EET

Ron,
   OK, most import item - if it works, then have a beer and make some
music! There is no reason to get overly concerned about this stuff if
the machine does it's job.

   I think your machine is using the newer 'APIC' and 'IO-APIC' type
interrupt controllers. I actually got brave and joined the kernel
developer's reflector to ask some questions about this as I was not sure
(and am still not) about IRQ priorities in this hardware configuration.
To be clear, this is hardware that is part of a newer PC architecture
and is NOT the same as most machines out there in the world. (I.e. -
it's been around for a year now, but it's new, and likely to work well
for most PC uses, but less sure about audio applications.) Don't get
worried, as I know a number of people using it on Pro Tools and doing
fine, although many of them had problems getting it to work well in the
beginning.

   Also, I do not have a machine with this hardware to do any testing
on, so I cannot be sure about any of this. We'll just have to figure it
out.

   My rudimentary understanding of this configuration is that the
hardware priority is lowest to highest, except for the normal,
out-of-order issue about IRQs 3-7. Since those are apparently not
assigned on your box, I hope they don't matter.

   This would imply, in your case, that one or your SCSI controllers
trumps your RME, and both trump the ICE1712, which I presume is an
on-board sound chip. (16 is before 17 is before 18 is before 19)

   I do not 'think' that this will be a big problem as SCSI controllers
are normally pretty well designed and have good buffering.

   I'm a bit more concerned about the mouse at IRQ 12 trumping all of
them. This _has_ been a problem on the normal IRQ setup and _could_ be a
problem for you. (I'm just guessing.)

   To test this, I'd suggest starting jack using the RME with a buffer
size of 64 and verbose logging, but no recording. I'd then try moving
the mouse around violently. Lots of mouse movement will cause lots of
mouse interrupts, and you'll get an idea how the system is handling all
this interactive load.

   If that works, then I'd do the same thing with Ardour doing playback,
but not recording, and see how mouse movements effect it, and then
finally the same while doing recording and playback.

   Also, remember that as PC's get fast and faster, and if the interrupt
handler's are written better and better, then it could get to the point
that IRQ order no longer makes a difference. I don't think we're there
yet, but I do think we're getting closer.

   Drop me a note if you need some more specific info.

Cheers,
Mark