Re: [linux-audio-user] Raid setup (kinda OT)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Raid setup (kinda OT)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 03:10:32 EET

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 15:37, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 07:19:17PM +0700, Darren Landrum wrote:
> >Mark Knecht writes:
> >
> >> Personally, I get 32 channels today from a single 1394 hard drive
> >> which
> >> suits my purposes very well. I haven't had the need to push further,
> >> but do this it would be interesting to try.
> >
> >Is that FireWire srive running under Linux? I would be interested in
> >knowing, as I'm still designing my studio setup. Thanks!
>
> Same here :)
> What are the specs ?
>
> regards,

Hi,
   The 32 channel number is under Windows ME and XP Home. It's limited
to 32 channels as that's a limitation of Pro Tools, not the drives. That
test was with 160 DigiDesign plugins at the same time on an Athlon XP
1600+ machine. If you have any reason to want to more about this test,
check out

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=32;t=001474

   As for Linux, I'm still waiting for Alsa to really support my RME
hardware. It goes up and down, and right now it's down. For kicks,
awhile back I quickly recorded 26 channels in Ardour for 10 minutes with
no xruns at 24/44.1K/5mS latency. I didn't need to push the number of
record channels any harder than that as 26 is the number of inputs my
RME card gives me. I'd never really run a live recording at 5mS in real
life, and I didn't try at 1.3 or 2.6 mS, but I think it would probably
work. This test was with no plugins.

   If this doesn't answer specific questions, let me know.

Cheers,
Mark