Re: [linux-audio-user] Raid setup (kinda OT)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Raid setup (kinda OT)
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 15:28:09 EET

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:13:14PM -0800, Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:
> On a side note, is there any way I could get you to give me a bit more
> info about how you went about setting up your RAID(s)? Offlist is fine if
> it will be too offtopic. Don't worry about it if you don't want to.

First and foremost, download Neil Brown's mdadm package. It makes
kernel software RAID a piece of cake! (apt-get install mdadm will work
if you run Debian)

Second:
# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=X --level=0 --raid-disks=2 /dev/disk1 /dev/disk2

The chunksize is an integer parameter that set how wide the stripes are
- playing with this value can change performance a lot, so definately do
some benchmarking!

*HOWEVER* - I wonder if you're not asking for a disaster. RAID0 has no
provision of reliability. ie, if one of those disks starts having
problems, you've lost all your data. I would be very reluctant to use
RAID0 as permanent storage for any of my music - there's too much risk.

Let me agree with other posters that it's probably overkill, especially
considering the data loss potential. I do my GNU/Linux recording work
to a partition that's actually a mirrored RAID1 pair (slower than a
single disk) and I've never had problems.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon. He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon. Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.