[linux-audio-user] Announcing Audio* Music Synthesis Project

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Announcing Audio* Music Synthesis Project
From: Nick (nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 23:25:09 EET

Hello,
I am new to this list, so please be gentle, and help me learn to use it.

I am announcing my project I have going on at SourceForge.
http://audiostar.sourceforge.net
http://www.sourceforge.net/project/audiostar

The project is about creating real-time synthesis applications. It
targets to run on Linux and Windows, but with an emphasis to getting the
most out of Linux.

Audio* is a toolkit library of synthesis classes in C++ for creating
instruments and applications that make computer music. So far it has
been mostly concentrated on the only application so far, Mojo, an Analog
Modelling Synthesizer similar to Rebirth but more flexible than a 303
which tries to emulate classic synthesizer sounds of the 70's and 80's.
So far everything is in one big mess, and I am using KDevelop Studio as
I learn more about the Linux programming tools (I am coming from several
years of Windows programming, but little Unix background).

The project uses FLTK (because it's fast, light, and stupidly simple to
use). One project is to create a unified set of FLTK widgets
specifically for Audio programming (and probably port them to use GTK
and other widget libraries). So far I am using Port Audio as the sound
library, it works well. I don't have plans to create yet another low
level sound driver unless it is something many people would find useful.

The only application is the Mojo, and like I said, it's a Rebirth like
program but much more flexible and different (and doesn't really sound
like it either). It does have nice alias-free waveform generation though
of classic Analog waveforms, and some half-decent filters I designed.

I hope to find people interested in using it, or helping work on it, or
make this project grow into something cool. At least, I'd like to get
feedback. People on sourceforge don't send any feedback at all. It would
be nice to have just a small community of people interested in it's
development and using it and letting me know what is going on.

Thanks