Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 16:32:01 EEST

> More to that, Mandrake has a kernel that has a lot of patches and extras
> added.

Like all the others? I believe only Slackware ships a Linus kernel, out of the
better known distros.

> This means that if you want to add a patch like low latency or
> preempt, you have to grab another kernel RPM

...which is very easy to install. Don't forget that most computer users have
never compiled anything in their life. The expectation of end-user kernel
rebuilds should really be a thing of the past.

In the serious audio space, I believe the main competitor to Linux is Apple OS
X. Only distros with plenty of pre-configuration stand a chance against OS X,
since most people who work in the sound industry are not C programmers. Out
of all the user-orientated distros, Mandrake is the only one I know that
respects and actually believes in free software.

Cheers

Daniel