Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?
From: Speaker to Vegetables (speaker-to-vegetables_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 20:19:47 EEST

Sorry, Austin, but in practice, installing an RPM intended for one
distribution on another distribution, is not particularly likely to
work. It may refuse to install unless you "force" it. It may install
and destabilize your system. I find it much easier and safer to install
from source tarballs than to install a "foreign" RPM. In theory an RPM
package could be crafted and tested to be installable on multiple
versions or distributions, but this is rarely done by those who build
RPM packages. Perhaps the Linux Standard Base will change this,
eventually.

--
"Can you remember the future? Forget it!"