Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?
From: Matthew Yee-King (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 12:15:26 EEST

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 09:56:11AM +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > you're welcome to come to my gig with 'a guy called gerald' on
> > april 25th in london
>
> What's the venue and time?
>
> For those of you not familiar with Gerald's work, he is a true innovator - and
> a technology fiend too! In the UK he is best known as a pioneer of acid
> house, which kicked off the whole 'rave' thing.
>
> > and listen to my alsa cvs sound drivers running
> > alongside my patched kernel.
>
> In my generalisation, I didn't mean that there are zero musicians with the
> necessary code skills. But consider my proposition in terms of sets - out of
> all the musicans in the world, only a subset have access to electricity. A
> subset of those have access to a computer. A subset of those run Linux. And a
> final subset have the advanced system configuration knowledge required to
> build and maintain the kernel, jack, applications etc. Out of that relatively
> very small group, some of the members would prefer to practise their
> instrument or mix their album than tinker with software.
>
> In my own case, I have compiled kernels in the past, and got jack running from
> scratch, but with ready-made RPMs I can avoid duplicating effort and get on
> with creative work. Thanks to people like Thac and Austin I can now start
> editing the 40+ tracks we've recorded with the minimum of hassle.

fair enough. I just couldn't resist responding to the 'show me a
musician who compiles kernels etc' sentence becaouse i could prove
exactly the opposite to be true.

I'm basically bitter because i'm on a powerpc so i can't get planet
rpms. ;)

venue is 93 feet east,
http://www.93feeteast.co.uk/

the night is called Eat Your Own Ears. The time is normal club times i
think.

cheers

matthew