Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MDK sound-RPMs troubles / Sound in Slackware?
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:56:11 EEST

> you're welcome to come to my gig with 'a guy called gerald' on
> april 25th in london

What's the venue and time?

For those of you not familiar with Gerald's work, he is a true innovator - and
a technology fiend too! In the UK he is best known as a pioneer of acid
house, which kicked off the whole 'rave' thing.

> and listen to my alsa cvs sound drivers running
> alongside my patched kernel.

In my generalisation, I didn't mean that there are zero musicians with the
necessary code skills. But consider my proposition in terms of sets - out of
all the musicans in the world, only a subset have access to electricity. A
subset of those have access to a computer. A subset of those run Linux. And a
final subset have the advanced system configuration knowledge required to
build and maintain the kernel, jack, applications etc. Out of that relatively
very small group, some of the members would prefer to practise their
instrument or mix their album than tinker with software.

In my own case, I have compiled kernels in the past, and got jack running from
scratch, but with ready-made RPMs I can avoid duplicating effort and get on
with creative work. Thanks to people like Thac and Austin I can now start
editing the 40+ tracks we've recorded with the minimum of hassle.

Cheers

Daniel