Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 11:31:08 EEST

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 04:13:28PM -0800, R Parker wrote:
> These are an interesting set of opinions that I don't
> agree with. Well, I do agree when reguarding the
> original writers design requirements. I'm an advocate
> of scsi hardware raid but only for professional
> installations because IMO it's overkill and to
> expensive for individual work stations.

Note: /I/ was explicitly speaking about IDE RAID, SCSI RAID is very
different, you can take the disk packs out of a SCSI RAID array, and stick
them in a different machine and it will rebuild fine. SCSI RAID striping
scemes are standardised and have been for a long time.

Also, I have never had a SCSI RAID system die on me, nor do I know anyone
who has. This is a sharp contrast to HW IDE RAID.

The latency issues are probably still there, but if they dont cause you
problems then I guess its OK. SCSI seek times are generally faster, so
maybe that helps.

- Steve