Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 18:30:54 EDT

Hi,

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht_AT_attbi.com> wrote:
> He is evil, isn't he?! ;-)
>
> It would probably be cheaper in the long run to buy
> 2 low-performance
> 1394 or USB 2.0 hard drives for each customer at
> $100 each, charging
> them when they do the session.

We used to do something similar to this but clients
don't want to spend money. Even though $100.00 is
chicken feed.

 You leave a copy on
> your RAID system,
> make two copies or their data, give one to the
> customer to take home.
> You keep in your closet in case of bad weather.

From experience, this is a pretty serious PITA. We've
got reems of tape dating back to the early 1980s.
Every couple of months, someone asks "do you have?"
Well, the pile of tape is rediculous and it's all
stored about 100 miles from here.

Our new policy is, when the job is completed, it is
archived and given to the client. We don't want
anything to do with managing history. Which is one
reason I think DVD might be useful to clients. It's
cheap and they can mount the disks at home.

So, rather than "do you have" I want to hear "if I
bring X in, can you...?"

> How long does backing up to tape take you, if you
> include backing up and
> verifying the data is good?

I've never timed it but it's slow. The upside is that
I start the archive and walk away, in practice, I can
get stuck thinking which is something I don't have
time for.

ron

 I did 20GB of Pro Tools