[linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 16:00:19 EDT

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:40:40 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Steve Harris wrote:

> >>Is that called time?
> >

> > ?

> :)

Ahh, yes time, but also working out a UI for it. Its kinda optional, so I
doubt it will make 0.1.

> >If your willing to work on the UI, then maybe the thing to do is to strip
> >it down and rebuild the UI code. I can stick the current code in a public
> >CVS server somewhere (its currently on a private server), but its pretty
> >scary in its current state.
>
> I have no qualms about learning SDL unless you really think it is a bad
> idea. The thing is *learning* it but I am willing to drop (almost)
> everything and focus on it for a while.

Well, theres almost nothing to SDL (well the parts I used anyway), I just
dont think its appropriate, I ended up writing widget code for the sliders
and stuff, which is why they suck so much. In retrosect just using GTK
would have been easier.

> If you want I can give you ftp access to djcj.org and you can put it
> there in a semi/private place.

The intention wasn't that it be especially private, I just didn't think
anyone else would want to work on it. I originally wanted to get beta bug
reports from a small number of people so I could handle the feedback, but
I dont think that will be a problem now.

> >I have no particular feelings about what toolkit, as long as its C, and
> >preferably has working vertical faders, the ones in GTK-1.x are
> >inconvienient.
>
> I willing to go with the current stuff and work from there. It may be
> that it needs a complete redesign but I think it would be good to get
> something out sooner rather than later.

Thats a good point. The current state is that I'm halfway through
refactoring the UI code to make some of the compressor controls rotary, so
its impossible to tell what its doing at the moment. The question is
wether its quicker to rescue the SDL code or replace it with GTK code or
similar.

Is there anyone else who wants to work on this? If not I'l just leave the
code where it is for now and give Patrick a login on the machine. If there
are a few people I'l have to move it to sourceforge or something, but I
dont really want to do that cos I think theres going to be some major
structural work needs doing.

- Steve