Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 12:14:12 EDT

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Patrick,
> I think there are, but I haven't found one that seems oriented towards
> controlling the contents of the CD with the degrees of flexibility you get
> from CD Architect.
>
> That said, I will spend some time perusing there again, or if you want to
> point me to one that you think does cover these things,

> like fades between two separate wave files,

I wasn't aware this is possible. I've always thought that was up to the
editor app to do fades. Otherwise why do I have so many mix cds where
they also provide a second cd with all the tracks seperated from each other?

> intergap & inter-track spacing,

You can do this with cdrecord (to a limited extent) or [insert favorite
editor] by adding the appropriate amount of silence to the start or end
of each track.

> track points
> defined within one wave file (used for defining the start of a track inside
> of a single long performance, like a live take),

I've always worked on the principal that [insert favorite editor] will
one day allow us to set markers and then split the file into seperate
tracks with one command. But if you want to be able to define track
points without splitting the wave I also wasn't aware that is possible.
Although I've seen it done in MD players so maybe cds can too.

>track names, I'd certainly be interested.

This is something I have finally found a need to get right. Can someone
explain how to write a TOC file so that cdrecord can make .inf files for
each track?

I have no qualms about writing a file and making seperate tracks in
ardour then using cdrecord via the commandline. I know Paul is working
on incorporating a way of running cdrecord from inside ardour though so
maybe that is the place you should be looking for this functionality?

I can see where an app that can provide all this functionality is useful
but it can be done relatively easily now. Although the splitting tracks
in one go is a WIP.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman