Re: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth
From: Guy Clotilde (guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 09:06:17 EEST

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:06:24 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote / a écrit:

> There's nothing to set in fluidsynth: If fluid is running as root or
> setuid root, it automatically uses realtime scheduling.

Hum yes I was afraid of it. No settings. But it doesn't work (lost notes) so I have to use timidity which is reasonably good for what I need. I miss the ability to load fonts on the fly and assign instruments. I will use swami to build my own soundfont.

Anyway, as I'm quite dumb about it, can you enlighten me about what it means 'setuid root'?
How exactly do I setuid root a prog (I have read about the 's' bit) ?
Can I setuid any program (er... is it dangerous) ?
Does any program 'setuid root' really run with roots provileges ?

Thanks in advance.

Guy CLO~
#ICQ 37736372
#219055 http://counter.li.org