Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: midi Sys Ex dumps

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: midi Sys Ex dumps
From: Michal Seta (mis_AT_creazone.32k.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 04:44:51 EEST

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:43:44 +0200
Frank wrote:

> I think noone here ever said that "cat x.mid >/dev/midi" works the way you
> expect it to work. You seem to be confusing raw SysEx files with MIDI
> files - they are NOT the same.

Yes I know they're not the same. A mistake on my part. I meant a raw SySex dump. My appologies.

> A "good" MIDI file player (pmidi?) might be able to send the SysEx data
> contained in a MIDI file to your external device, but I have not yet tried
> this.

pmidi works fine for me.

> As Julien explained in another mail, at least my Roland D50 (and probably
> also other Roland keyboards) normally require a Handshake protocol for
> data transfers.

AFAIK D50 is very similar to GR50. But GR50 has a 'one way' sysex dump option that is a data transfer without handshake (there is a possibility for handshake procedures as well). I have been using a one way dump into a MIDI sequencer. Playing it back into the unit (with any midi sequencer in Linux) results in checksum errors. The same procedure in MacOS (a long time ago) worked fine for me.

cheers

./MiS