Re: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth fails with alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth fails with alsa
From: Julien Patrick Claassen (julien_AT_c-lab.de)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 22:39:49 EEST

Hello!
  For alsa-seq midi. I had the same problem. I don't know. But did you run the
aconnect program? If you start fluidsynth or any alsa-seq client it only
offers a port. Normally if it is the first alsa-seq client started this is
port 128. Then you need to connect your soundcards midi-in to 128. Usually
this is:
  aconnect 64 128
  You can see all input ports with:
  aconnect -li
  and all output ports with:
  aconnect -lo
  If you i.e. want to play a midifile to fluidsynth, but not use fluidsynth
directly, then you could do:
  fluidsynth (make all settings)
  And on another console run:
  pmidi -p 128:0 file.mid
  This would play midi-data from pmidi to port 128, which is your fluidsynth
port. If you start more midi-apps run aconnect to see apropriate portnumbers.
  For your alsa-problem. I defenitely think, that it is a version difference
problem. Maybe the best would be to uninstall your alsadriver package and get
alsa0.9.2 from alsa-project.org and install that (driver, lib, utils). I have
that combination and it works fine on my suse 8.1 (kernel 2.4.20).
  I hope that helps it little.
  Kindest regards
        Julien

Julien Patrick Claassen