RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 17:35:30 EEST

> > But the stock 2.4.x kernel on kernel.org will give audio
> > dropouts under load, that's why it is strongly recommended that you
> > use a preempt- or LL-patched kernel.
>
> Sure - it's almost as if the stock kernel is the first building
> block in a
> customisation process. I suppose Slackware users are expecting to
> recompile
> at some point anyway.

It also depends on your audio hardware. How large it's buffers are, hope
optimized it is. Under both Windows XP and Linux my RME boards can play CDs
under heavy load (like Seti-at-Home running 100% CPU) with no drop outs.
Under Linux with a preemptive kernel I can do this with a 3mS setting (6mS
total latency? I'm not sure.) using alsaplayer while under Windows the same
card must be set at 26mS latency to not have dropouts. Same PC dual booted.
Linux without preemption I haven't tried in a while, but I didn't notice any
problems (using just my ears) at a 12mS setting.

On my slower work PC running Win XP Pro, the Audigy mp3 card I have will
always have dropouts, clicks and pops anytime CPU usage goes over 40%. I
cannot run Seti-at-Home on this machine when listening to CDs at all.