Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: midi control surfaces w/Linux?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: midi control surfaces w/Linux?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 20:09:38 EEST

Hallo Dave(s),
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> David Mays wrote:
>
> > I own your book "Linux Music and Sound" and have seen you mentioned
> > all over the net wherever Linux and Music collide so I thought you
> > might be a likely person to have an answer to this question. I am
> > looking for a MIDI control surface like the M-Audio SurfaceOne or the
> > Event EZ-Bus that has driver support to use with Linux pro-audio apps.
> > 4Front Tech says they do not support anything like that.

Yes, 4Front doesn't support pro-audio apps, I guess. ;))
Ok, just joking, but it's true: most pro-audio apps need libasound and
thus ALSA.

> > Do you know of anything that is available for this purpose?

The Surface one (is it out now?) has a simple Midi-out so it
should be very well supported at least this way. The internal
USB-device should be possible to support as well, as all other USB
devices by M-Audio have good support and this should behave well, too.

The EZ-Bus should be supported as well, at least the ezbus chipset
reportedly works with the usb-audio driver (which includes Midi
support.)

In general one can say, that Midi support is the least of our problems
on Linux.

ciao