Re: [linux-audio-user] xinerama and alsa problems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] xinerama and alsa problems
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 21:49:27 EEST

Arthur Moore <art_AT_infinitybox.net> writes:

> I'm using xinerama with two nvidia cards and I'm having a problem when
> trying to play sound. When I stretch an app (like audacity) over two
> screens I get all sorts of distortions. Actually whenever any sound
> app is on the second screen I have problems. Like a clicking. Anyway
> I'm using Debian unstable, with kernel 2.4.20 (no patches), Xfree86
> 4.2.1, and alsa 0.9.2. Anyone else seen this problem?

It works OK for me. I'm running Debian woody (stable), homemade
kernel 2.4.19 with lowlatency and capability patches, XFree86 4.1.0,
GNOME 1.4 and ALSA 0.9.0rc7-2 with xinerama on a Matrox G400. Sound
card is an M-Audio Delta 66 (very good card for the money).

The first thing I'd suspect is the NVIDIA cards. Some models are
reputed to have poor latency characteristics. Google for information
on what the problems are and what to do.

You may want to try building a low-latency kernel, too. Debian has a
package for it that you can install and include in the kernel build
with make-kpkg. If you're going to do all that, I'd recommend making
the capability patch, also. It's only two lines, and it makes JACK
far more usable.

Regards,

--
  Jack O'Quin