[linux-audio-user] hum from laptop soundcard

Subject: [linux-audio-user] hum from laptop soundcard
From: Ben Saylor (bsaylor_AT_Macalester.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 14:57:06 EEST

Hi,

I have a new Dell laptop with a headphone jack as the only external
audio output. With headphones, the sound quality is good and there is
little noise to be heard. However, if I plug in my monitors, the
output crackles and hums, regardless of the mixer levels. There is
217 hz constant hum, a 125 hz hum when moving windows, and a 689 hz
whine when I run Pd. The output crackles when I move the mouse
(external USB). I just noticed that it goes away when I unplug the AC
adaptor. I think I remember a similar problem coming up on this list
before, but I had no luck searching the archives. How can I solve
this?

Thanks,
Ben