Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and hardware samplers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux and hardware samplers
From: James Greenwood (jamesg_AT_ukshells.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 12:47:19 EEST

Tim Orford wrote:

> you cant mix internally?

Probably I can, but I have outboard effects that I like to apply on a
per-channel basis. I wonder if it's possible to use the outputs and
inputs on my M-Audio 2496 as effects sends and returns to incorporpate a
couple of outboard effects while mixing internally? That might sway me.

> > So what about ones that require a different way of working? Maybe it's
> > time to learn a new way of working!
>
> yeh sampling duties can be performed by all kinds of apps
> these days depending on what you want to do exactly. Also, it
> seems people have been put off writing a sampler due to US patent
> problems.

That's a shame about the patent issue...

> have you tried the soundfont editor/player Swami/Fluidsynth?
> Maybe that will help you become less reliant on your hardware,
> but i wouldnt sell it just yet! :-)

Thanks for the tip!

--
James Greenwood | jamesg_AT_ukshells.co.uk

If you put in the work, the results will look after themselves -- Nick Leeson's mother